Maths made easy - because I said so!

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

While I was at work, I was tagged on Facebook asking how I would deal with this maths question. It was said to be a Primary 4 maths question.
For me, maths and work don't mix. Its like I run 2 different tracks.

So here is the Primary 4 maths question.

Lisa had $5620 while Milly had $3850. After both of them spent the same amount on travelling, Lisa had four times as much money as Milly. How much did both of them spend on travelling?


The first thing that came to my mind was,"Hey.. this is easy isn't it"
I got down to doing it and I came up with an algebraic calculation. Then I turned to my husband,"Wait.. do P4 students learn about algebra?"
He would know better since he is currently helping a P5 kiddo now.

"Nope"

Dang! I was at my dead end.
I looked at the solution which was 'primary school friendly' and I could not make sense of the solution.

I almost hyperventilated. Is this Primary 4?!?
I mean that is the question most parents put across to one another right?
We are not able to accept the fact that the education system is getting tougher than during our time.

I stared at the question.
Then I asked myself, "How would I explain to Rania this question?"

Since I have only been mentoring secondary school levels, it is very hard to bring myself down to the Primary School level. I am not used to it. (I have to start getting used to it though with Rania starting P1 next year)

I started by drawing tables. We all learn mathes using the table right?
Again, I asked myself, "How would I explain to Rania this question?"

It took a while till I figured a solution which was very child (and parent friendly!)


Unlike the confusing solution I saw previously, I thought this was self explanatory for parents and they will be able to explain to their children. As for the kiddos, I believe they will have an easier time to understand these concepts and apply it correctly for similar questions.

Draw the table and look at it! Stare at it! You will see it!
Haha!

I do not scare my students with Maths. I let my students embrace them.
If given a choice to do Literature or Maths, I will choose Maths anytime. Reason is simple. Maths is a qualitative subject where 1+1=2. Period.
No examiners can penalise me for the answer 2.

It is not like Literature where I need analyse and explain ideas through my linguistic skills. I am not a linguist.
I am a very straightforward and structured person.
If the student is faced with this question, then know what topic they are questioning. Recall concepts. Structured application. And there you are done.

My materials for teaching is very simple.

1. Mathematics textbook
( I don't agree schools not using textbook and give notes handouts to teach. There is no shortcut in maths!)

2. Ten years Series/ Assessment book
(Topical - to recap the topic till perfection)

3. Calculator

4. Stationery
(And i insist my students never work on sums with a pencil. Because this means the level of confidence is not there since you feel you can erase away at any time. You cannot do your sums in pencil during exams can you?)

During my classes, whether group or individual classes, I run through concepts with the students. I let them see and understand the concepts.
Once they have, we start doing examples where these concepts are applied. At the same time, the concepts learnt are recapped.
Only then the students will start to understand and see the correlation.

I will not talk during the whole session (actually most of the time I talk.. which is why I always award myself with a bigger cup of drink. LOL!) but I will get students to do a related question after each example. THIS IS KEY!
Explain. Apply. Reinforce. Explain. Apply. Reinforce.

This is very important.

Which is why those who come for tuition, not prepared and do not get your homework done, please don't waste your parents money.
Of course I do get students who said "CCA is tiring." "Too many homework in school"
But i tell them everyone has 24 hours a day. Plan it right. Play with the phone lesser. Burn the midnight oil like many of us did.

As long as you don't keep applying the concepts and keep reinforcing the steps, there is no way you will brilliantly get it right during tests.
No two scenarios of a question are the same. But these two scenarios call out for the same concept of solution.

Its like:

Scenario 1: Patient having hives from eating seafood.
Diagnosis: Allergy
Medicine: Anti Histamine

Scenario 2: Patient having swollen lips and eyes from cleaning a dirty room.
Diagnosis: Allergy
Medicine: Anti Histamine

The scenarios are different. But as doctors, the concept is the same. Hives, swollen lips and eyes are signs of an allergy. With this concept, you apply the solution which is anti histamine.

Get the drift?

In fact, very often the big mistakes made by students are:
1. Skipping steps and try to do short cuts
(because they think they will complete the paper faster, which more often than not it is a "tidak-apa attitude")

2. Try to mentally solve the calculations
( also part of a "tidak-apa attitude")

3. Work the solution halfway and if it "doesn't look right" or "answer looks wrong", they stall and think they are stuck.
(When actually their calculations and methods are right)

4. Rushing through questions as if finishing it first will win them D-trophy. (tee hee!)

And maths is a good practice for you to be structured. When your working is structured, your flow of thought is structured and your errors are minimal. Even if you feel you were wrong along the way, it easy to understand your own working backwards.

During O level preparation, I let the students realize that there is probably only a handful (handful = 5) of formulas to remember.
I see so many kinds of faces.
The "are-you-serious-face". The "you-kidding-me-face". The "yeah-right-face".

But I have proven this right time and again.
As long as you understand the concept, there is no need to memorize the formula. Its all in the logic!
How did you think I managed to turn my own C grades to A's. :)

Primary school parents, don't be stressed. Refer to the textbook. Understand the concepts and try applying it. Always take reference.
Don't look at the question and immediately panic.

(Thumbs-up!)

Anyway, its been a few years since I handled Primary School mathematics and this is truly refreshing!



0 sent me a message:

Post a Comment

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)