Learning to love again

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I have a little confession. Ok, not so little confession.
In fact, I personally think I there is something wrong with me in my head and as much as I do not share this much with many except for really close ones, I am glad I am going to do that now.

I probably emerge with a new perspective and feels like a breath of fresh air.

To the few people I spoke to, I am glad I did. I get to vent out easily without being judged and criticized.
And I am not sure if sharing this reach out to some of you who are in my shoes.

Maybe it is just me and I am the only one.

I just posted this picture today. I reached 22 weeks this week and this tiny human in me is depending his entire life on me.

 photo 942333_10151506425286342_629141536_n_zpsb5aec783.jpg

This pregnancy (in comparison to my pregnancy with Rania), I glowed more. People actually say I am glowing. Just a little more make up (like a eyeshadow or lipstick) makes me look even better. Even the (lady) security guard at my house commented on my T-shirt and pants look.

My cheeks and most importantly the nose maintain rigidity! My love handles did not grow any thicker and I didn't grow any wider.
I can still fit into my pre-pregnancy pants (without buttoning up of course!) and my old pregnancy pants with the help of the pregnancy band to hold the pants up.

I gained 7kg in 22 weeks. Though it does not sound a lot, it will still be hardwork for me after delivery.
Firstly, I have past 30 so weight loss is definitely slower and also I still have a 5kg debt from my previous pregnancy.
With Rania, I put on a total of 25kg.

At 18 weeks, I requested for my gynae to see the gender. Then she said,"Why you want hero ah?"
"No la.. doesn't matter. I just want to start shopping."

When she nudge my tummy around, she saw the gender. My heart sank.
When people ask me, I avoid answering saying that the baby close legs. Some I tested their response and was disappointed to hear what I heard.

I hated it when they came to me and say,"Boy eh?"
Like it was so natural to get a boy after a girl and then I will get a girl and then a boy.

I hated how the society put sons on the pedestal and I did not hide that frustration on my Facebook. I was ever so ready that I will deliver (potentially) 5 girls!

I hated to see how mothers beam when they say,"My son.."

And I kept telling myself that it is not fair because as a son, my husband is a good son and a good man. He is a good husband and a good father. I know sons who are very dutiful and really admire how they persevere with challenging mothers today. But I cannot stand how some of our Malay mothers treat sons like how the Indian mothers treat their sons.

Then when I tried to reason things out with people around me, they say, its ok. If you have a son, your husband's inheritance is secured with your son. Then I was utterly disgusted.
There is no point for me to have a son, giving half of my husband's inheritance eventually and then forget of his man responsibilities that is to take care of his sisters and mother. If there is no man in the house to take care of your daughters, Islam will take care of your daughter. She gets two thirds of the inheritance (to be split across her other sisters)

Mothers please get that right.

Then my cousins was telling me that they will grow up to be a man who can take care of our funeral, lead prayers and making sure that our after-life is taken care of.
Its true.
But it didn't convince me enough.

I was very frustrated. Of course I prioritise having a healthy baby.
I was even more frustrated with myself as to why I could not accept the gender of the baby.

In a way, I was very pressured to have a son and who doesn't hate pressure. The more I was pressured, the more rebellious I am in accepting. I wanted to prove that life with daughters was nothing bad.

Many times, I sit down and tell myself this is God's gift. Whatever it is, it was for the better of me.
But the devil in me always ask,"In what way better?"
Wallahualam.

My daughter came at a right and wrong moment. The right moment for the family because I lost one of the most important men in my life. The wrong moment because I became a very paranoid and distraught mother. I hold my daughter closer than my own life. She means more than my life. That was God's gift to the whole family.
My mother would not have survived without Rania. I would not too.

One night, I dreamt I needed to have a forced abortion. I did not cry but when I saw the tiny one removed from me, I cried in my dreams. I woke up with sudden realization that I was not being fair.

During the detailed scan, I was anxious to confirm the gender and making sure the baby was ok.
Gender was confirmed. There was no way I could buy time and hope for the opposite.

This is not God's gift to me. This is what is best for me and the family. This is meant for me. For us.

That night, I did my sujud syukur (prostration of gratitude) that I have a healthy baby. I prayed to God to give me strength to be a mother of two. I prayed He gives the family rezeki which is berkat. I prayed He grant us health.
I bowed my head in regret. Why did I tried to run away from fate.

I felt guilty to the unborn one inside me. He is so innocent.
And there are many more women who wants to conceive and hold the little one but they just couldn't.
I felt ashamed. Truly ashamed.

I embraced my fate. I embraced him being in me.
And when I let my defenses down, I finally become excited. Excited to hold a newborn again.
I tested my own waters by visiting a friend who just gave birth to a son. I smiled. I told myself, Insya Allah someday I will hold a similar one in my hands.

And it was so warm to see Rania pointing to the baby and said,"Baby.. baby"

So at 22 weeks, I am really ready to see the expansion of our family. Today I have so many ideas in my head.
I am starting to have a happy pregnancy. Finally I am embracing.
(Now you know why I haven't blogged much about this pregnancy)

May Allah forgive my sins.

So yes, we are having a boy!!!

 photo prick_boy_1a_zps36cd99e2.jpg

Thanks for those who voted the gender of baby. :)

I am sharing this with you because I want mothers to come to a realization that sons are not everything (and neither are daughters) in inheritance, in morals, in priority or whatsoever. I may be the only mother who dislike sons. But whether sons or daughters, they will turn out how we mold them and I need to learn this balancing act now.
Sharing this is among the dark side of me that not many know. May I become a mother where my children do not find it hard to love and adore.

Many said when the new one comes, it is very easy to 'forget' the first one. I hope I would not come to that stage. Rania is very precious to me. Very.

Today, I am looking forward to hold this tiny one (apparently doc said he is a bigger baby) in my hands and may He continue to bless us. Amin.

4 comments:

  1. Dear NuraMima,

    Congrats on your 2nd pregnancy. Like your much earlier post on your late dad, this entry affected me immensely as I can totally relate to it.

    You see, I was pregnant with my second child and was supposed to be due later in the year. Like you, I have a precious toddler daughter and people were that they hoped that for my second pregnancy, will be a boy. And like you, I hated to be pressured. I did hoped that it was a boy as I wanted to experience the best of both worlds; having a girl and a boy. But I do agree with you that mothers tend to favour boys, as if they are superior. “Anak lelaki kuat.” They would say.

    When we found out that we were having another girl, I was disappointed but knew that I will love her indefinitely as she is still my child, my own flesh and blood.

    However, we found out in our detailed scan that we could not keep our child, due to rare complications. It was a living hell for me. I cried day and night, almost daily. Only Allah knew what I had to go through, the extreme anguish I felt. I felt that Allah was punishing me. I may look fine on the outside, but deep down, I feel like screaming.

    It has been months but I know that I will never get over it and it will be with me till the day I die.

    Only Allah knows how I really feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,
      My heart sank and teared for you as I read paragraphs written to me.
      Let us learn not to let the society get the better of us. My hubby always warned me what is more important. Health, berkat, family and love and warmth amongst us.

      To me, in the society today, girls are more of boleh harap in comparison to boys which was why i was very excited being pregnant to Rania. I pray she do a good job being my little helper and a second mother where my other children can look up to.

      I really apologise about you giving up your baby. I cannot imagine the trauma you need to go through but have faith that it is the best for you to let this go. Maybe there are better things to come your way and Insya Allah you come out stronger and a stronger believer of Him. Your story moved me a lot too. It hit me that my fate could have just been yours.

      we go through life lessons. Some tougher than the other. Sometimes better now than later.
      Once your body recover from post natal, I urge you try again. You will be a better mother to this one than if you still get to keep your second one.

      I pray for you and that you recover well. Smile and have more to come.
      My quota is far from over. You should have many children. It really takes worries away. It is replaced by stress! :)

      *big hug*

      take care dear sister!

      Delete
  2. Salam Sis,

    Thank you very much for your reply. I've replied you via email. = )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mima,

    When I read your post, I feel so connected.

    I am blessed with two girls of my own. Like you, I am lucky to be blessed with a girl as my firstborn. I had no preference whatsoever with regards to the gender. She was a much awaited addition to the family. My family is rather small. It consist of my younger bro and I. So my parents and grandmother were anxiously waiting for the arrival of the lil one who represented the next generation. She came at a timely period when my grandma went through stage 4 breast cancer. Being the old generation that she is from, she does not like hospitals and she put off going to the doctor until it was critical. Imagine I was preparing for my wedding and she was preparing for her operation. It was hard and bad on us. I was glad that she went through the operation and was present for my wedding. The weeks after that, it was torturous as she had to undergo severe sessions of radio and chemotherapy. What kept her going was the thought of seeing her great-grandchild. It was like an answer prayer for her when I realised that I was pregnant 3 weeks into the marriage. It gave her the strength. I then named my child, 'Light of determination- Nur Yaqyn'; courtesy of my grandma. She was the light of the family. She was equally welcomed into my hubby's family as she was bred from the son of the family. My husband is the prodigal son who they can depend on. To add on, she looks just like my husband, who looks like his dad. So there was that uncanny resemblance.

    Then we decided to try once more. My second pregnancy was very different from the first. It was torturous. It was harder. I was forever vomitting and people were claiming that this might be different from the first as it is a different sex. I had bled and had to be observed. I was breathless and went in and out of the hospital. It was just not a good journey. Having listened to all the comments, I was thinking that it will be perfect if I have one of each. The tummy was smaller, I was glowing (like you), I was more rugged and I was more calm. Everyone thought I was having a boy, moi included. My husband's family has only 1 grandson out of 9 grandkids so you can tell that they were looking forward to another boy. Imagine the pressure I was in.

    The day came when I had the scan and I was crushed that I was having another girl. The most hatred thing of all was that I felt I had let people down. For 2 days, I was trying to come to terms with it. I felt so regretful that I had felt that way. I felt so bad for the 'adik' that her mother was not cherishing her. I was crying and depressed. There was no dream for me. It took my grandma, husband and dad to talk sense into me. It then sank in that I was being ungrateful. The lil being depended on me and I was not thankful. The lil being trusted me to care for her and I was not being responsible. I realised that I was wasting the chance God gave me. After dealing with the disappointment from his side, I began to accept the child. I began to learn to love.

    Surprisingly, she gave me such an easy birth. She was an easy baby and she is most attached to me. My firstborn is much closer to my husband- a daddy's girl. I never had her warming up to me like she did to him. Imagine my excitement when I realised that my second warmed up to me more than the father. It was an event for me, an eye-opener. How can someone that I did not like, for a moment, love me so unconditionally. Up to now, she is a year old, I still feel regretful that I had harboured such feelings for her. I feel thankful that I am given a chance to show my 'light of respectability' that I do love her.

    So i know how you feel. It is alright I believe to have a moment of indecision. But since you have come to terms with it, in sya Allah, it will be fine. He will be a child with deen.

    ReplyDelete

 
template design by Studio Mommy (© copyright 2015)